Thursday, February 20, 2014

Fighting the dreaded cold

This winter I have watched so many people get sick with nasty colds and flu bugs.    I thanked the stars it wasn't us! My family had been pretty lucky as none of us had gotten sick.  Until last week.

It started with my son.  The sniffles, runny nose, a bit of a cough... and then came the fever, lack of energy, full on yucky cold hit.

My son always gets hit hard with colds.  We were quite lucky so far this winter since usually by February we have had  several bouts of bronchitis, pneumonia and trips to the hospital. 

So as this cold came on fast and furious, and his fever soared, and my fear of bronchitis kicked in, we headed to the ER to get him checked out.

Thankfully all was clear, probably viral, rest and fluids and instructions to come back if it got worse.  Phew. Much better than many past visits.  The ER has been overloaded with cases of flu this winter as one nurse told me, probably one of the worst winters for illness in a long time.

So now to get my son better and avoid the cold myself.

And then I woke up feeling the dreaded cold symptoms.  Aching body, scratchy throat, stuffy nose... no way I was getting sick, there just isn't time!!  So I started to take what we call around here the "Death Drops", Oil of Oregano. 

It has been recommended by many that these horrible tasting drops will wards off cold symptoms.  So I diligently take my drops praying to avoid a full blown cold.   But no luck, I waited to long... the cold is here to stay.

How many times can you sneeze in a day?  Apparently my body is testing this theory.   How many hours at night can you cough without getting sleep?  Another theory being tested.

Vitamin C has become my new friend, boxes of tissue have been consumed, the other kids are avoiding my son and I, and the cold plugs on.

I am so sick of being sick.  How long can a cold last anyway?

No comments: