We have always watched the Olympics in this house. This is the first year that the 2 youngest have take a real interest in it though.
Watching the various sports, some brand new for them to see, and teaching them about the "why" of the sport has been fun.
When I explained to my 6 year old the importance of the Olympics and how we are cheering for Canada I was flooded with questions. She really took a keen interest in learning about all the things the Canadian athletes had to do to get to the Olympics and why it was such an honour for them.
As we watched some figure skating the other day, she put her colouring down and sat in silence as she watched. She waited patiently with each pair taking the ice and kept asking if this was Canada.
When pair, Kirsten Moore-Towers and Dylan Mosovitch took the ice and I was finally able to answer now they are Canadian, she cheered and yelled GO CANADA!
It was pretty exciting and heart warming to see that she understood that this was what we were watching for and this was what we were cheering for.
When they finished and we waited for their scoring, she sat on her knees looking more nervous than they did!
Teaching the kids about the importance of being a proud Canadian and cheering on our countrie's incredible athletes has been a great reminder for me as well as to why I love our country.


No comments:
Post a Comment