Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Trimming the Tree as a Family

We finally got our Christmas tree up this past weekend. I know, someone people are thinking "already?", but for us, the longer we can enjoy it the better!!

I love this time of year and I love anything Christmas. I look forward to when the radio stations start playing Christmas music, the stores are all festive, we can decorate the house and start wrapping gifts.

Putting the tree up is the start of the real excitment for the kids. They sat patiently as my mom put the tree together and my dad and I tried to get all the lights on our prelit connected. This took much longer than expected.

After much cursing and sweating we finally got the tree all lit. Well 85% of it, that will have to do for this year.

The little ones were so excited to get in there. This is the first that all 3 of my kids really get it. The littlest one even put on his Santa hat to get in there and get the ornaments on the tree.

My oldest, which I realized is on her 15th Christmas, gets quite nostalgic looking at all the ornaments. When she was a baby I started to buy a new ornament every year, and I continued this tradition with my little ones.

The kids love opening all the little boxes and wrapped pacakged looking for the ones that are theirs. I have to admit, as years have gone by and so many have accumulated over the 3 kids that there are few that I can't quite recall belong to which kid...ooops!

The arguing was kept to a minimum as the little one placed all his on the bottom branches, the middle one tried to put on as many as she could and the oldest tries to make it perfect. To me, no matter where they put the ornaments the tree would be perfect because their little hands made it that way.

So with the tree up, the stockings hung and some other decorations around the house. I truly feel the festive season has begun for my family.

Tomorrow we introduce The Elf on the Shelf... wish me luck!