Thursday, April 11, 2013

Sick day for mama

Moms get sick too.  It's a little known fact. 

This past week I have been sick, probably the worst I have felt in years.  However, being a mom has not allowed for me to really "be sick".  Moms don't get sick days.

Being the only adult in my household, I don't have someone to tag team responsibilities with.  I have kids to get to school, lunches to make, dinner to prepare, laundry to do and a kitchen that doesn't clean itself.

As much as I want to curl up in my bed and sleep this whole thing off, I can't.  My kids need me.  Sick or not, I still have to be mom.

My oldest daughter is a big help though, for the most part.  She has helped with dinner and with the end of day tidy up.  Thank goodness for a teenager that doesn't mind helping out. Now if only she could drive the younger kids to school....

The kids haven't really understood why I have been less than my normal go go go self.  Yesterday one of them asked me why I sound funny, "mommy is sick".  Then I was asked why I was laying on the couch, you know because I never do that.  "mommy is sick and needs some rest"  This went on and on all day.  Apparently the term "mommy is sick"  did not compute.

I am sure most moms can relate to the fact that we don't take enough time for ourselves.  When our kids are sick we demand of them to rest and get well, as a mom we keep trucking along in hopes that it will pass and no one will notice.

Sometimes, that thinking does no one any good.  Today I declare a sick day.  Kids are at school despite a bus cancellation for some non-existent snow, and this mama is going to get some rest.  That is until I have to pick the kids up from school, make dinner, clean the kitchen, drive kids to their lessons.... and well, be a mom again.

No comments: