My kid was sick and I sent her to school. I felt guilty.
I mean she had spend the entire day before puking and clearly not well, but she seemed fine in the morning despite her complaint of a sore tummy.... So off to school she went with a promise that if she needed me the school would call me.
The school called and they told me she was sick and to come get her. Mommy guilt to the tenth degree.
I really thought she would be ok when she got there with her friends and distracted from thinking she was not well. I was wrong.
I know I am not the only mom to have done this, and I have to admit I will probably do it again to one or more children several times over the course of their educational years.
So my afternoon plans of hanging out with a friend, having some lunch and catching up and gossiping were cut short by the dreaded call from school saying I have a sick child.
I rushed off to get her. She didn't look good. More guilt.
My poor little girl.
So I felt guilty. Why? Because that's what moms do when they make a bad decision. Being a mom is to forever feel guilty for something. I was warned of this when pregnant with my first child. I would now feel guilty for the rest of my life.
Guilty for wanting to sleep in, guilty for hiding in the bathroom to eat a chocolate bar because I don't want to share, guilty for wanting a night out with no kids in sight, guilty when there is only enough Frosted Flakes for one of us and I try to convince them they want something else... yep, guilty for everything.
So we watched a movie. I let her pick, she is the sick one right?. By the end of the movie she was on the mend... asking for a snack and to play XBox. HMMMM 2 hours seemed to heal her pretty quick.
By the end of the day she was back to normal. No sign of ever having been sick. Was it guilt wasted? Probably, but at least she knew I was there to get her when she needed me.
What will my next bout of guilt be.....


No comments:
Post a Comment