Monday, December 3, 2012

momstown mamas get CPR Certified!

We always hope that we never have an emergency come up especially one that would involved our kids.

I think as a mom the scariest thing that we could have to experience is seeing our child injured, or worse, choking, unconscious or in some other critical distress.   While the odds of these horrible things happening might be slim, the best thing we can do as a mom is be prepared to help our children, or someone else, that might need help, should something happen.

momstown arranged for CPR training for all the moms through our partner The Canadian Red Cross.  Training took place over the month of November and momstown mamas across the country jumped at the chance to take part in the training and learn how to save a life.

The training was hands on and intensive and very thorough.  We learned about the signs of choking, when CPR is needed and how to use and AED.

We learned how to save someone that is choking and focused on how to help a child and an infant when choking.

Learning how to properly perform CPR was a key part of the training.  I for one was glad to learn how to properly do this, as it was much different than what you see in movies and on tv and what I envisioned it would actually be like.   It was a little scary and a little humbling to think how something that seems so simple could save a persons life, or at least sustain it until help can arrive.

The last thing we learned was how to use the AED.  Now a standard sight in most public places, especially places we are with are children frequently ie community centres, schools, malls etc.

This was a little worrisome for many of us, but it was comforting to learn that using this life saving machine is very simple.  They have made it so easy for us to save a life, the machine tells you what to do and how to do it. 

While I am now certified, I pray I never, ever, have to use any of the life saving methods that I learned, but at least I am now equipped should my help ever be needed.

No comments: